Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Ode to Camp Wiregrass



(Sorry about the picture; it's the best one I could find online.) I've been thinking lately about Camp Wiregrass. This is where I used to go to camp as a camper and then as a counselor as I got older. I would go every summer; one summer I went like 3 weeks in a row. Since I've had kids though I haven't been able to go. So, that's like three years or maybe four since I've been. Might not sound like a big deal, really it's not I suppose, but I often think about what's going on there right now and how much fun the kids are probably having.

I remember swimming in the pool together on those sweltering hot days, painting the tables and walls of the craft hut, going to canteen and getting sour straws and Dr. Pepper, shaving cream fights, going on hikes in the woods, and many, many more fun camp things. From the outside this camp wasn't one that sounded like it'd be too fun. Compared to all the other camps out there and the ones you see portrayed on movies, Camp Wiregrass seemed kinda like a dud. No horseback riding, no big lakes with giant bouncy things, no jetskis, no ropes course or zip lining. None of those modern camp things. But I don't think I would ever go to any other camp over Camp Wiregrass.

The most memorable times happened down in the little chapel in the woods. This was where we'd having worship every night and have devotionals in the morning. This is also where we had talent shows and skits and such. The chapel was basically the "soul" of the camp. Any range of emotions were shared here. This was where I got up and sang and played the guitar in front of a bunch of people and felt totally at ease. That was the great thing about this camp. By the end of the week, you felt like these people were part of your family. Really, in a sense, they are. They're all part of God's family which makes this camp the best I've ever been to, and miss it so badly. Since we live out in the country and are constantly around nature, I'm reminded of it more often. I really could go on and on about all the fun things and memories from camp, but will stop here so as not to bore you to death.

So, there is my short ode to Camp Wiregrass, my home away from home.

1 comment:

Lori said...

I know what you mean, I went to Super Summer growing up and then as a counselor when I was in college. It didn't have a bunch of fancy things either, but it was a great time meeting new people and worshiping God. Those are great memories to hold on to. Maybe you can be a counselor there again someday and help other kids have a great experience like you had.