Monday, February 1, 2010

Getting the Garden Ready


I just saw this movie this weekend, and it was great. And this was one of the first pictures that google came up with when I typed in worm.

Today, the kids and I got out and attempted to dig up the garden, weeding the dirt and such. This turned into a balance beam contest and then quickly became a worm hunting party. One of the most fun things about kids is how they just run with their imaginations and do whatever they feel like next. Ok, sometimes it's fun, but other times it can be annoying. But let's focus on those fun times, shall we?

I think gardening and just generally playing in the dirt is a great earthy learning experience for kids. And it's fun for them because it's dirt. So, as it gets warmer, hopefully we will get to do this more.

Having a garden and letting kids participate is a great idea. They get to see a tiny seed, planted by them, turn into food that they can eat. I grew pumpkins last year, and it was amazing to me to watch dozens of pumpkins grow from just 5 tiny seeds.

2 comments:

Jamey said...

I have really wanted to start a garden. It just seems overwhelming, but I think that's because I'm trying to do it all at once.

What would you suggest to begin with? I really want the kids to be involved.

Kara said...

I would start with whatever vegetable that you like to the eat the most. Like, tomatoes are good starters and eggplant and okra. Squash is def. a good one, because once it starts producing, you'll have more squash than you want.

But yeah, I'd just pick one to start with and let the kids plant the seeds. You could even do a little science experiment by putting seeds in a bag with a wet paper towel and putting them in a dark place to sprout. My kids love seeing the progress of the seeds sprouting. Then let them plant those.

I probably could go on and on about this, but I'll stop here. It's just so much fun.