Tuesday, January 26, 2010

May I Take Yo Order? Playdough Style

My kids could play with playdough for hours, and they do if I let them. They got a playdough hamburger/fast food station for Christmas. So, we have made a lot of hamburgers. Kids have such amazing imaginations, though, and we've made many other things too with this set. The great thing about it is that they are gaining many new skills from this activity. Probably more than I know. But they're learning counting, color mixing, many different fine motor skills, sorting, and more. I just love playdough. And the whole color mixing thing was hard for me. "Don't mix the playdough, you'll ruin it." "Why do I even buy these colors if you're just going to smash them together and make them all brown????"

BUT I got over it, because I've realized that when I restrict the kids on how they play with certain things (I mean restrict in a way that it hinders their imagination because I'm a bit particular about how things should be, like how I don't think playdough should be mixed) they just don't play with those things. And then, they sit around gathering dust, wasting money in the process because nobody's playing with them. So, playdough is cheap, and really, the kids basically get playdough thrown at them at every holiday event via gifts from kids at school. And when we run out, we can just make some more, and I can then write about it on here, telling everyone my own personal playdough recipe and how much fun it is to make playdough.

Here's a still shot of the kids at play. We really get into it and add new "tools" every time:



I also enjoy this activity because I have fun myself making perfect little hamburgers out of the untainted (yet) perfectly colored playdough.

1 comment:

Ashley @ pure and lovely said...

look at you and ur new look! love it