Just for fun, I've decided to make my own little personal book review everytime I finish a book. So, I decided to start with "The Shack" by William P. Young, which I read back in the summer. Now, I've read a few other books since this one, but I've been seeing A LOT of people with this book. So, I thought I'd give my two cents about it.
If you're expecting a deep, profound review then you will probably be disappointed. Sorry, this is all my weary and tired "mommy brain" could come up with at the time.
I kind of had mixed emotions about this book. It was a great book as far as being profound and inspiraional and such. On the other hand, though, I found it quite boring and repetitive. That might be too harsh of a description. It wasn't repetitive as far as content, but just the format. For example, there would be a whole chapter on the main character's conversation with one of the God heads and then the next chapter would be another conversation with another form of God, and so on and so forth for most of the book. The conversations were really deep and interesting and quite inspiring, but I got so bored with reading through a conversation just to be met by another one in the next chapter. I was like "come on and tell us what happens to the little girl." I'm even getting bored writing about the repetitiveness. (Please keep reading, though.)
The first few chapters of the book really pulls you in with the little girl that goes missing. If the book didn't start this way and just started with the "conversations" I probably wouldn't have finished it sadly. I'm glad I did though because it was really good. The ideas that the author put forth were so thought provoking.
The author did such an amazing job making God the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit so personal, and I actually felt closer to all three. I think putting them in the forms that the author did was one reason for this closeness that I felt while reading the book. It was a good reminder that God wants that kind of closeness with us, and I think I tend to seperate myself from Him sometimes.
I think it's really important to keep in mind, though, that this book is fiction because I can see how it would be very, very easy to get sucked into it and forget that it is fiction and really is just one man's thoughts on what God would say, although I do seem to agree with him on a lot of things from what I can remember of the book.
Normally, when I read a good book like this one I would recommend it to many, but I really don't think this book is for everyone. I can see how it would be easy for someone to get pulled into it and claim it as gospel, as many did with "The DaVinci Code."
So, I loved it and disliked it at the same time if that's possible.
2 comments:
I started to read this & it bored me too. I will have to pick it back up again when I have nothing else to do but read. :-)
I remembered how you said it bored you in the middle, at the beach, before I was to that point, and I kept reading...and the same thing happened to me. I dont have time for stuff like this. ;)
Post a Comment