Monday, March 30, 2009

A Quiet Man Who Spoke Volumes

My Granddaddy (or as I called him, Papaw) passed away a little over a week ago. It still doesn't seem real. He started having strokes just a little over a month earlier. They finally got the best of him. I'm almost at a loss of words for it all, but I did want to share how great of a man he was. In my own words that is. I hesitate to write anything about him because I know that whatever I write just won't seem to be enough. Words aren't enough. Much more could be said, but here is a small taste.

One of the preachers that spoke at his funeral said this about him: "He was a quiet man who spoke volumes." My Papaw didn't ever say too much, but he was a great influence and example for so many. I always felt a connection with my Papaw because he reminded me of myself in a lot of ways (or vice versa). We're both pretty laid back, quiet people. I hope one day, people will say about me what we say about him. I want to be known as a quiet woman who spoke volumes.

When he did speak, though, it was something you would want to listen to. He could make the funniest jokes. He could even make lame jokes funny. One of my favorite stories about him was one from when he was a young man selling insurance. He was out seeing a client or something with his insurance partner. They knocked on the door and this woman opened it up. They introduced themselves and the woman said "He knows my name." So, my papaw and his partner kinda looked at each other and were waiting for the other to tell them her name, but clearly neither of them knew her name. I think she said it again, and they were confused so they went ahead and went into the whole insurance spill or whatever. As they left the house and got in the car to drive away, they looked at her mailbox and it said "HEINO." She was saying "Heino's my name." I'm sure that lady tricked a lot of people with that one. Every time I hear someone say the phrase "He knows" in any context, I automatically think to myself "Heino's my name." It always brings a smile to my face.

Papaw and his favorite girl:



My Papaw was not only a great man, but a great Christian. That's probably what made him such a great man. I never heard him raise his voice or say a mean thing about anyone. He was great at crossword puzzles. He loved sweets and good food in general. He was very, very handsome. He loved wearing his red shirt. His hair always looked great. He was great at growing lemons and oranges. He would have and did do anything for his children and grandchildren and more. He always entertained us with Roman candles on the Fourth of July. He was so cool. I love him.

My mom, the kids, and I were down in Florida with him that whole last week of his life. I cherish the time we got to spend with him. Even though he was not able to speak or move much that last week, he could hear us and let us know that he loved us. Just today Jack pointed out our first tulip that's bloomed and told me it was Papaw's. Riley called him Paw Paw. The day of the viewing, my mom was getting Riley dressed and out of the blue she said, "Pawpaw's singing." From the mouths of babes. I'm sure he is singing.

I found a video of him on my computer from one of the last times he was up in Montgomery. I wish I could share it, but my computer won't let me for some reason. He's rocking the kids and is singing "I've Been Working on the Railroad." It's so sweet.

None of us were ready to let him go. He's having a blast right now though. He's okay now. He's graduated to glory. We're the ones who need the prayers.

4 comments:

Lori said...

Great Post Kara. I think you did a great job describing your grandpa. He was such a sweet, gentle man. I'm so glad we got to see them over Christmas, we will cherish those memories forever. He is in heaven singing and watching over us. We were all blessed to have known such a great person. He will truely be missed.

Ashley @ pure and lovely said...

bless you and your family. I have been praying for yall. I know you have been through a lot and will continue to be thinking of you. I know it has to be so hard! Love you!

Three plus Me said...

Kara this is such a nice tribute. Sorry I haven't checked on you at work, I seem to have a one track mind when I get there and that's school stuff. Hope you are healing well! And hope Jack is okay from his fall today!

Elsa said...

This about made me cry! I remember meeting your Paw Paw a long time ago, but most recently at David and Jessica's wedding. Aaron fondly remembers him chatting with us at Zaxby's, discussing whether they were related somewhere back. You are blessed with great Christian families on both sides, and I know the legacy will live on through Jack and Riley, whom I have fallen in love with, by the way! Elsa