I told them to paint what I described. I said things like, "What do you think the sky looks like behind the moon?", "The moon is big and round.", "The moon shines moonbeams down on the ground.", and "There is a tiny star beside the moon." I gave them time between each question or comment to paint it out. When they were finished I put away all the paint and brushes. Then I told them to look at their painting while I read the poem.
Here were the finished works of art:
The poem we used for this project was "The Moon" by Eliza Follen:
Oh, look at the moon she’s shining up there,
Oh, mother, she looks like a lamp in the air!
Last week she was smaller and shaped like a bow,
But now she’s grown bigger and round as an ‘O.’
Pretty moon, pretty moon, blow your shine on the door
And make all bright on my nursery floor,
You shine on my playthings and show me their place.
And I love to look up at your pretty, bright face,
And there is a star close by you and maybe
That small twinkling star is your baby!
They really had a lot of fun doing this. Now, it didn't go picture perfect, exactly how I'd planned, but that's how everything is with kids. The result of this exercise was a sweet painting that each child was very proud of. Afterwards, they wanted to paint more so I gave them more paper and said to paint away.
No comments:
Post a Comment