Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Our Day, Our Rhythm

One of my biggest challenges as a parent is stimulating my children in the right ways. Every day is a new adventure, and if you're like me, requires planning in order to get the most out of your time. As a rule, I choose not to sit on the computer or work on something that requires a lot of focus while my kids are awake. I want to be able to use the time I have with them to teach them and enrich them. Childhood should be magical, and I want to try my hardest to make it that way for my kids.

So, every day that we're not in school, I try to think of fun activities that we all can do together without overwhelming the kids. Too many days have gone by where the T.V. has been on the majority of the day. I get so mad at myself when that happens. In the past, I've tried to make out a schedule for our day, filling up the potential of that day. These rarely last, or even get followed on the day they were made for. I recently ran across another blog, though, whose author talked about making a rhythm for your day, rather than a schedule. I thought that made sense. Things seem to flow more when you talk about there being a rhythm.

And that's what's led me to start writing on this blog again, with a new goal in mind. I'm hoping mainly to help myself with my daily problem of what to do, but also find out new ideas from you and maybe help some other mothers figure out how to enrich their kids lives by using the time with them more effectively.

Now, I want you to know that I'm starting from scratch here. I'm the worlds worst at wasting time. I'm notorious for getting caught up in a daydream only to realize that I've been sitting on my bed for half an hour just staring at the wall and thinking. I've also been known to "check my facebook real quick" then end up an hour and a half later looking at pictures of someone I don't know. Senseless, I know.

But, we all have to start somewhere, right? So, here goes our recent "free" day. (By free day, I mean a day that we don't have school and have no specific agenda.) And I'm not putting times on here because it's a "rhythm" not a schedule, and I don't want anyone to see how late we woke up:

Woke up and had breakfast, scrambled eggs, while watching the tele.
More T.V., while I searched the internet for a fun project to do. (Hopefully this step will never again be in our rhythm because I realize this is something I need to plan ahead of time + I don't want to be on the computer while the kids are up as stated previously)
Painting project.
Bath (much needed after painting project)
Lunch
Movie
Nap
Dinner
Playtime with family
Bedtime

So, this is our typical rhythm as of now, but I'm hoping to make it much better, fine tune it, add more diversity to it, etc. Hopefully, I will get our painting project up soon.

No comments: